Welcome to LearnEnglish Exams
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. Our work in English aims to bring high-quality language materials to every learner and teacher who wants them.
We offer more than three million UK examinations worldwide, helping people gain access to trusted qualifications to support their career and study prospects.
Find out more about the British Council and visit our LearnEnglish Kids , LearnEnglishTeens and TeachingEnglish websites for free English language materials for learners and teachers.
LearnEnglish Exams provides teenagers and adults preparing for Cambridge English Qualifications: B2 First, B2 First for Schools and C1 Advanced with motivating practice exercises. There are two levels available: Success in B2 First and Success in C1 Advanced.
- Read expert advice and tips about how to approach each skill and the different types of questions in your exam.
- Complete practice exercises and get instant answers with explanations for Listening, Reading and Use of English.
- Analyse model answers for Speaking and Writing.
- Apply different exam strategies in the practice exercises to help you to do better on each paper.
- Reflect on your learning and see why you got something right or wrong.
- Improve your writing and speaking answers and your confidence in answering these questions.
- Find links to more online materials to help you improve your English skills further.
LearnEnglish Exams offers access for teachers to help you see your students’ progress.
- Access the Schools Area in Success in B2 First and Success in C1 Advanced.
- View the content for candidates in Success in B2 First and Success in C1 Advanced.
- View a list of your students that have access to the website.
- Check your students’ scores in the automated Reading, Use of English and Listening exercises and the date completed.
- Review your students’ personalised writing and speaking feedback from a British Council expert and the date completed.
Who can access it?
LearnEnglish Exams is available to exam takers if you register for Cambridge English Qualifications: B2 First, B2 First for Schools and C1 Advanced with the British Council at your school, language centre, institution or British Council exams centre. It is also available to teachers of students who register with the British Council for these exams.
Where is it available?
LearnEnglish Exams is currently available in these countries: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Greece, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Spain. LearnEnglish Exams is part of the package of benefits in the British Council’s Addvantage member scheme, which support students, teachers and schools to succeed in Cambridge English Qualifications.
How do I get started?
Students will receive a username and password by email to access Success in B1 First or Success in C1 Advanced after the registration is completed, and at least one month before the date of the exam. Teachers will receive a username and password at the same time as students. Your local exams team will contact you with more information about getting started.
What content can I access?
In our STANDARD version you can access advice, tips, strategies and practice exercises to help you prepare for the Listening, Reading and Use of English, Writing and Speaking papers of your exam. You can analyse model answers for writing and speaking questions and reflect on your learning and progress. In our FULL version you can also access our writing and speaking tasks and submit your answers online. You will receive personalised feedback from a British Council expert. If you are a teacher, you can view your students’ feedback in writing and speaking tasks in the Schools Area. Please check which version you have access to with your school, institution or British Council exam centre.
LearnEnglish Exams is accessible on your laptop or desktop computer. We recommend a stable, high-speed internet connection (preferably broadband speed) and Chrome, Mozilla, Safari or Edge browsers. For the best experience we suggest using a pair of headphones with microphone for the listening and speaking exercises.
- Use LearnEnglish Exams for extra exam practice while you take a preparation course or for last-minute exam revision.
- Complete all the exercises or choose the parts of the exam you want to focus on.
- As there are no time limits or restrictions, you can take as long as you need and repeat the exercises as many times as you want.
- Learn wherever you are, whenever you want. You will have access 24 hours a day, seven days a week before your exam.
‘Each part is well explained with techniques to improve your skills.’
B2 First student, Greece
‘It is very similar to the real exam, and you can write and get your writing corrected.’
C1 Advanced student, Spain
‘It was a great way to find out what I actually know and not and this was very useful for me.’
C1 Advanced student, Portugal
‘What I like about it is that it is very easily accessible.’
C1 Advanced student, Poland
‘The fact that it offers a helping hand to students before the exam by explaining in detail each step and part of the exam.’
B2 First teacher, Spain